Whether you’re a seasoned hookah smoker or just starting out, having the right accessories can make all the difference in your smoking experience. From bowls and heat management devices to hoses and carrying cases, there are a wide variety of hookah accessories available on the market.
A bowl is a container that holds the shisha tobacco.
The purpose of a hookah bowl is to hold and heat the flavored tobacco (shisha) used in a hookah. The bowl is a crucial component of the hookah, and its design and construction significantly influence the smoking experience. Here are the main purposes of a hookah bowl:
- Tobacco Holder: The bowl is where you place the flavored tobacco, which is often mixed with molasses or honey to enhance its flavor and provide moisture. The bowl holds the shisha in a way that allows it to be heated without direct contact with the hookah coals.
- Flavor and Smoke Production: The bowl plays a critical role in flavor preservation and smoke production. A well-packed bowl ensures that the shisha is heated evenly and that the flavors are released gradually, resulting in a smooth and enjoyable smoking experience.
- Aesthetic and Design Element: Hookah bowls come in various shapes, sizes, and materials, and they can be decorative elements of the hookah. Some bowls are ornately designed and can be chosen to match the overall aesthetic of the hookah.
- Customization: Hookah enthusiasts often experiment with different bowl types and packing methods to fine-tune the smoking experience according to their preferences. Different bowls can affect the intensity of flavor, smoke thickness, and the duration of the smoking session.
The type of bowl you use can have a significant impact on the flavor and quality of your hookah session. For example, clay bowls are known for producing a more flavorful smoke, while glass bowls are easier to clean.
Types of hookah bowls:
- Traditional bowls: Traditional bowls are typically made of clay or ceramic and have a large, deep chamber. They’re good for producing a lot of smoke, but they can be difficult to pack and clean.
- Phunnel bowls: Phunnel bowls have a raised center that helps to prevent the shisha from burning. They’re also easier to pack and clean than traditional bowls.
- Vortex bowls: Vortex bowls have a spiral design that helps to improve airflow and produce a smoother smoke. They’re a good choice for smokers who prefer a longer session.
- Egyptian bowls: Egyptian bowls are similar to traditional bowls, but they have a smaller chamber. They’re a good choice for smokers who want to conserve shisha or who prefer a shorter session.
- Glass bowls: Glass bowls are becoming increasingly popular, as they allow smokers to see the shisha cooking process. They’re also easy to clean and maintain.
- Ceramic bowls: Ceramic bowls are a good all-around option. They’re durable, easy to clean, and produce a good quality smoke.
- Silicone bowls: Silicone bowls are flexible and easy to transport. They’re also a good choice for smokers who are prone to dropping their hookah.
- Multi-head bowls: Multi-head bowls allow multiple people to smoke from the same hookah at the same time. They’re a good choice for large groups or for social gatherings.
- Chillum bowls: Chillum bowls are small, one-person bowls that are typically used for smoking hashish or cannabis.
Heat Management Devices (HMDs)
HMDs are devices that are placed on top of the bowl to distribute heat evenly and prevent the shisha from burning. HMDs are becoming increasingly popular, as they can help to improve the flavor and smoke quality of your hookah.
- Even Heat Distribution: HMS devices provide more consistent and even heat distribution to the hookah bowl. This helps prevent hotspots and ensures that the flavored tobacco (shisha) is heated uniformly. As a result, you get a smoother and more controlled smoking experience.
- Reduced Charcoal Contact: Traditional foil can sometimes lead to direct contact between the charcoal and the shisha, which can cause the tobacco to burn too quickly, resulting in a harsh taste. HMS keep the charcoal separated from the shisha, preventing charring and burning.
- Longer-lasting Heat: These devices are designed to retain heat efficiently, allowing the charcoal to last longer. This means you can enjoy longer smoking sessions without the need to frequently replace or adjust the charcoal.
- Convenience: Using an HMS is more convenient than dealing with foil and managing the charcoal directly. It simplifies the setup and makes it easier for hookah enthusiasts to prepare and maintain their hookah.
- Reduced Ash and Debris: HMS also prevent ash and debris from falling into the bowl, which can sometimes happen when using foil. This keeps the shisha cleaner and helps maintain the quality of the flavor throughout the session.
- Customizable Heat Control: Some HMS models have adjustable vents that allow you to control the airflow and, by extension, the heat. This gives you the ability to fine-tune the temperature and the intensity of the smoke to match your preferences.
In the beginning, all hookah Heat Management Systems (HMS) were made from aluminum. Aluminum is still a reliable and high-quality choice for HMS. It heats up a bit slower and doesn’t distribute heat as efficiently, but it’s precise enough to ensure your tobacco doesn’t burn; it merely warms it. That’s why aluminum HMS is a dependable option for any hookah enthusiast.
On the other hand, stainless steel HMS for hookahs are notably more durable and heavier. They heat up quickly and distribute heat efficiently. As a result, they are commonly used, primarily with dark tobaccos and hookah bowls that have thick walls, such as Voskurymsia.. It’s important to know how to control the heat properly when using stainless steel HMS. If you’re seeking maximum power from your hookah, this is the right choice for you.
Hookah coconut charcoal refers to a type of natural charcoal made from coconut shells, commonly used as a heat source in hookahs. It is valued for its clean and odorless burn, which enhances the flavor of the shisha (flavored tobacco) and provides a more enjoyable hookah smoking experience.
Coconut charcoal is appreciated for its lack of chemical additives, slow and even burn, and minimal ash production, making it a popular choice among those who seek a purer and more authentic hookah session.
The primary purpose of hookah charcoal is to generate heat to ignite and sustain the burning of flavored tobacco (shisha) in the hookah bowl. This heat indirectly cooks the shisha, producing the vapor that is inhaled through the hookah hose.
- Coconut shell
- Walnut shell
- Natural wood
When choosing charcoal, it is important to consider the type of hookah you are using and the type of smoke you prefer. Natural charcoal is a good choice for smokers who want a flavorful smoke, while quick-lighting charcoal is a good choice for smokers who want an easy-to-use charcoal.
Types of hookah charcoal:
- Natural charcoal: Natural charcoal is made from wood or coconut shells. It takes longer to light than quick-lighting charcoal, but it produces a cleaner smoke. Natural charcoal is also more expensive than quick-lighting charcoal.
- Quick-lighting charcoal: Quick-lighting charcoal is coated with a flammable substance that makes it easy to light. However, quick-lighting charcoal can produce a harsh smoke and may contain chemicals. It can make you sick.
A hookah hose is a long, flexible tube that is used to inhale the smoke from a hookah. It is typically made of silicone or rubber, and it has a mouthpiece at one end and a connector at the other end. The connector attaches to the hookah’s stem, which is the part of the hookah that holds the bowl of tobacco.
The purpose of the hookah hose is to deliver the smoke from the hookah to the smoker’s lungs in a cool and comfortable way. The smoke is first filtered through the water in the hookah’s base, which helps to remove some of the harsh impurities. The smoke then travels up the hose and into the mouth.
The hookah hose is also an important part of the hookah’s cooling process. The length and flexibility of the hose allow the smoke to cool down as it travels from the bowl to the mouthpiece. This helps to ensure that the smoke is not too hot and harsh when the smoker inhales it.
In addition to its functional purpose, the hookah hose can also be a decorative element. Hookah hoses come in a variety of colors and styles, and they can be customized to match the smoker’s personal preferences.
The type of hose you use can also have a significant impact on the flavor and quality of your hookah session.
Types of hookah hoses:
- Silicone hoses: Silicone hoses are the most popular type of hookah hose. They’re durable, easy to clean, and produce a good quality smoke. They are also proven to not bend during hookah session
- Rubber hoses: They are very similar to silicone hoses in most of the advantages, but they are more bendable, therefore they can easily bend during hookah sessions and restrict the airflow.
Old-fashioned Arab-style hookah hoses are characterized by traditional materials such as leather, fabric, or plastic, often featuring ornate designs and decorative elements. They may have non-removable inner tubes and can be challenging to clean. Some users appreciate their potential to add a subtle taste to the smoke.
On the other hand, new silicone hookah hoses are designed with modernity and practicality in mind. They are typically made from food-grade silicone, which is highly durable, easy to clean, and doesn’t absorb flavors or odors. These hoses feature minimalist designs, removable inner tubes, and are known for their flexibility and longevity.
Mouthpieces are attached to the end of the hose to make it more comfortable to smoke. There are many different types of mouthpieces available, made from a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, and wood.
To make the hose more comfortable to smoke.
Mouthpieces are available in a variety of shapes and sizes, so you can find one that is comfortable for you to hold and smoke.
Types of hookah mouthpieces:
- Plastic mouthpieces: Plastic mouthpieces are the least expensive type of hookah mouthpiece. However, they’re not as durable as metal or wood mouthpieces and they may not produce as good of a quality smoke.
- Metal mouthpieces: Metal mouthpieces are more durable than plastic mouthpieces and they also produce a better quality smoke. However, they can be more expensive than plastic mouthpieces.
- Wood mouthpieces: Wood mouthpieces are the most expensive type of hookah mouthpiece, but they’re also the most durable and produce the best quality smoke. Wood mouthpieces are also a good choice for smokers who want a more traditional smoking experience.
Tongs are used to handle the charcoal and other hookah accessories. It is important to have a good pair of tongs to prevent burns on your skin.
To handle the charcoal and other hookah accessories safely.
Tongs are an essential accessory for any hookah smoker. They allow you to safely handle the charcoal and other accessories without getting burned.
Types of hookah tongs:
- Regular tongs: Regular tongs are the most basic type of hookah tongs. They have two arms that are used to grasp the charcoal.
- Heavy-duty tongs: Heavy-duty tongs are more durable than regular tongs and they can handle larger pieces of charcoal.
- Long-handled tongs: Long-handled tongs are helpful for handling charcoal in deeper hookahs.
Diffusers are placed in the hookah base to help break up the smoke and make it smoother. Diffusers can also help to reduce the noise from the hookah.
To break up the smoke and make it smoother.
Diffusers are available in a variety of styles and sizes, so you can choose one that fits your hookah and your smoking preferences.
Types of hookah diffusers:
- Single-hole diffusers: Single-hole diffusers have a single hole at the bottom of the downstem. Single-hole diffusers are the most basic type of diffuser, but they can still be effective at cooling and smoothing the smoke.
- Multi-hole diffusers: Multi-hole diffusers have multiple holes at the bottom of the downstem. Multi-hole diffusers are more effective at cooling and smoothing the smoke than single-hole diffusers.
A windcover is a dome-shaped device that fits over the bowl and protects the coals from the wind. Windcovers can be helpful when smoking outdoors, as they can prevent the wind from blowing out the coals. It is also useful when you want to heat the bowl quicker, because it helps to keep and build the heat faster.
To protect the shisha tobacco from the wind.
Windcovers are an essential accessory for any outdoor hookah smoker. They help to keep the shisha tobacco from blowing away and ensure that you have a consistent smoking experience.
Cleaning brushes are used to clean the different parts of your hookah. There are three main types of cleaning brushes: bowl brushes, hose brushes, and stem brushes.
To clean the different parts of your hookah and remove any build-up of residue or bacteria.
- Nylon bristles
It is important to clean your hookah regularly to keep it in good condition and prevent the growth of bacteria. Cleaning brushes make it easy to clean all of the different parts of your hookah, including the bowl, hose, and stem.
A molasses catcher is an accessory specifically designed to intercept molasses, the sweet substance used in hookah tobacco, before it seeps into the water in the hookah base.
The primary aim of employing a molasses catcher is to enhance the overall hookah experience. It helps maintain the purity of the smoke flavor, extends the duration of your session by keeping the water cleaner, and simplifies the clean-up process post-session.
Molasses catchers are crafted from various materials, including:
- Silicone, known for its heat resistance and durability
- Metal, favored for its sturdiness and longevity
- Glass, chosen for its aesthetic appeal and ease of cleaning
Enthusiasts can select molasses catchers based on their preferences, as these gadgets come in diverse designs and dimensions to suit individual taste. Some designs are streamlined to fit onto the hookah’s downstem and act as an intercept between the bowl and the water, while others are placed inside the hookah base, floating on the water to capture any molasses that drips down.
An ash tray is a receptacle designed to contain the ash that falls off the coal used in hookahs.
This essential accessory keeps the surrounding area neat by catching ashes, thus preventing them from scattering around and preserving the cleanliness of your hookah space.
Ash trays are provided in a variety of materials, such as:
- Metal, known for its practicality and ease of maintenance
- Glass, often chosen for its elegant look
Ash trays not only contribute to maintaining tidiness but also add a measure of safety by containing hot coals that might accidentally fall during a session, effectively preventing burnt surfaces or materials.
The vase is the centerpiece of the hookah base, a container that holds water and partially submerged downstem of the hookah.
Its primary role is to filter and cool down the smoke as it bubbles through the water, delivering a smoother and more enjoyable inhalation experience.
Vases can be made from several materials, including:
- Glass, popular for visibility of smoke and water level
- Ceramic, valued for its unique designs and craftsmanship
- Metal, appreciated for its durability
The vases typically come in numerous designs, from simple and classic to intricate and ornate. Some advanced models include multi-chambered systems offering additional smoke filtration and cooling features, enhancing the hookah smoking experience.
A bazooka is a modern hookah accessory designed to cool and enhance the smoke before it reaches the smoker.
This device attaches to the end of the hookah hose and is primarily used to cool the smoke, resulting in a smoother and more palatable experience.
Bazookas are generally constructed from:
- Metal, which often encases the cooling element
- Plastic, which forms the exterior of the attachment
For the optimal experience, the bazooka’s cooling element is usually frozen before being attached to the hose, ensuring the smoke is perfectly chilled as it passes through.
A charcoal holder is a specialized container used for transporting and storing hookah charcoal.
It serves to handle hot coals with ease and provides a secure storage solution to keep the coals contained and ready for use.
These holders are usually made from metal due to its heat-resistant properties.
Hookah enthusiasts can choose from an array of charcoal holders, some offering features like lids to maintain the charcoal’s heat or vents to allow proper airflow.
Grommets are small, typically rubber, components designed to ensure airtight connections within the hookah’s assembly.
Their main role is to prevent air leakage, which is crucial in maintaining efficient suction and proper functionality of the hookah.
Grommets are primarily made from rubber, recognized for its flexibility and seal-forming capabilities.
It is advisable for hookah aficionados to replace grommets at regular intervals or as needed to ensure a consistently tight seal and the best smoking experience.
Valve balls are minute spheres situated inside the hookah’s purge valve system.
These tiny yet vital components act as seals for the valve holes, preventing unwanted air intake and ensuring the hookah’s smoke is not diluted.
The balls are made from materials like:
- Metal, frequently chosen for its robustness
- Polyamide, a type of plastic known for its durability
Valve balls are produced in multiple sizes to match different hookah models. Regular inspection and replacement are suggested to maintain an optimal seal and proper function of the hookah’s purge system.
A carrying case is a great way to transport your hookah and accessories safely. Carrying cases are available in a variety of different sizes and materials.
Types of hookah carrying cases:
- Hard cases: Hard cases are the most durable type of hookah carrying case. They are made of materials, such as plastic or metal, and they have a hard shell that protects the hookah and accessories from damage. Hard cases are a good choice for smokers who travel frequently or who need to transport their hookah over long distances.
- Soft cases: Soft cases are less durable than hard cases, but they are also lighter and easier to carry. Soft cases are typically made of materials, such as canvas or leather. Soft cases are a good choice for smokers who travel occasionally or who only need to transport their hookah over short distances.
- Backpacks: Hookah backpacks are a great way to transport your hookah and accessories hands-free. Hookah backpacks typically have multiple compartments for storing the hookah, accessories, and other personal belongings. Hookah backpacks are a good choice for smokers who travel frequently or who need to carry their hookah over long distances.
When choosing hookah accessories, it is important to consider the type of hookah you have, the type of smoke you prefer, and the quality of the accessories you purchase.
Type of hookah
Traditional hookahs and modern hookahs have different requirements when it comes to accessories. For example, traditional hookahs typically use hoses with wider openings, while modern hookahs typically use hoses with narrower openings.
Type of smoke
If you prefer a thicker, more flavorful smoke, you will want to choose different accessories than if you prefer a smoother, less flavorful smoke. For example, clay bowls are known for producing a more flavorful smoke, while glass bowls are known for producing a smoother smoke.
Quality of accessories
Cheap hookah accessories may not last long and can even be dangerous. It is better to invest in high-quality accessories that will last for years to come. For example, look for accessories made from durable materials and with good craftsmanship.
In addition to the factors mentioned above, there are a few other things to keep in mind when choosing hookah accessories:
- Compatibility: Make sure that the accessories you choose are compatible with your hookah. For example, some HMDs are only compatible with certain types of bowls.
- Price: Hookah accessories can range in price from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars. Set a budget before you start shopping and stick to it.
- Appearance: Hookah accessories are available in a variety of colors and styles. Choose accessories that match your personal style and the décor of your home.
Some additional tips:
- Read reviews: Before you buy any hookah accessories, read reviews from other customers. This can help you to get an idea of the quality of the products and whether or not they are worth the price.
- Shop around: Compare prices from different retailers before you make a purchase. You can often find good deals on hookah accessories online.
- Take care of your accessories: Hookah accessories will last longer if you take care of them properly. Clean them regularly and store them in a safe place when you are not using them.
There are a wide variety of hookah accessories available on the market, and the best accessories for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. If you’re new to hookah smoking, it’s a good idea to start with a basic set of accessories and then add more accessories as you become more experienced.
- How to prepare a Hookah: From beginner to Expert in few minutes - 10. December 2023
- The Ultimate Guide to Heating Hookah Charcoal for Perfect Sessions - 14. November 2023
- The Ultimate Hookah Dictionary: Your Comprehensive Guide to Hookah Terminology - 5. November 2023